16 April, 2010

Crockpot Revolution



Any of you suffer like me, with a cracked pot? (that never not enough time in the day to cook a real meal feeling)? I suppose I can just come right out and say it... I love too cook, however, managing 3 kids, my house, and life in general gets in the way. So I thought: Why not share my, ahem, unnatural obsession with the crockpot (now, now, I know some of you suffer too). Yes, I am referring to that revolutionary electric appliance, gathering dust in the back of cupboards everywhere.

Winter, Summer, Spring, Fall, my crockpot is my friend. I mean, come on, you can cook anything in it. And bonus, it doesn't heat up your kitchen (those of you located in the desert mid-summer know what I am talking about). Besides, making it fast and cooking it slow, ready by dinner, also a real bonus. And did I mention it's energy efficient?

Let's cut to the chase here and prove my crockpot obsession is not insanity. I'll skip those soups, we all know how to do that. (however if you want some recipes, let me know, I can share) Let us instead focus on how easy it is to provide an array of diverse meals, snacks, dips, etc.

Slow Cooker Beef Roast with onions and potatoes
1 large sweet onion (I will never achieve a zen moment when cutting an onion)
3lb boneless beef bottom round roast (By the way, I hate the netting these sometimes come in, cut it off the roast before cooking)
3 potatoes cubed
chopped garlic (fresh or dried)
1 can beef broth
1 package onion soup mix
1/4 cup white flour

In 5-6 quart slow cooker, place chopped onion. Place beef roast on onionPlace potatoes and garlic around beef (This doesn't have to be arranged pretty but I know you're thinking about it, you perfectionist you)In a small bowl mix broth and soup mix, pour over the contents in the pot.Cover, cook on low 9 to 10 hoursI use the flour to thicken up the broth before serving, use a whisk to break up any clumps. It will thicken as it cools.


Fruit and Nut Baked Apples (gasp, that crockpot is good for more than soup!)
4-5 large apples (Some are tart, some are not, I'll leave it to you to decide )
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup dried apricots
1/3 cup walnuts or pecans
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar (you can substite if you are on a diet)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
caramel ice cream topping (optional)

Scoop out the center of each apple, leaving a 1 1/2 inch wide cavity approximately 1/2 inch from the bottom. Remove the apple peel about 1 inch from the top. Brush the edges with the lemon juice.Mix apricots, walnuts (or pecans), brown sugar and cinammom in a small bowl. Add butter and mix well. Spoon the mixture into the apple cavities.Pour 1/2 cup water into the bottom of your crockpot, Arrange the apples in the bottomCover, cook on low 3-4 hours or until apples are tender. Best served warm with the caramel ice cream topping.

Are you overwhelmed yet?.................. I didn't think so

Vegetable Stuffed Pork Chops
4 pork loin chops
1 can corn, drained
1 green bell pepper (optional, some of you may be gagging right now)
1 cup Italian-style seasoned bread crumbs
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 can tomato sauce

Cut pocket into the side of each pork chop. Combine corn, bell pepper, bread crumbs, onion and rice in a large bowl. Stuff pork chops with rice mixture. Secure the pocket with toothpicks.
Place remaining rice mixture into the bottom of the crockpot (have I mentioned it's my friend) Lay the stuffed porkchops on top. Coat the top of each porkchop with tomato sauce. Pour any remaining sauce over the top
Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours

Triple Chocolate Fantasy (I am certain I have your attention now)
2 pounds white almond bark, broken into pieces
1 bar (4 ounces) sweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips3 cups coarsely chopped pecans

Place bark, sweetened chocolate and chocolate chips in crockpot.
Cover, cook on high for 1 hour. Do not stir.
Turn crockpot on low, continue cooking for 1 hour, stirring every 15 mintues. Stir in nuts.
Drop mixture by tablespoons onto a baking sheet covered with wax paper, let cool. Store in a sealed container. Enjoy!!
Note: Instead of pecans, try crushed peppermint candy, peanuts, pistachios, toffee marshmallows, or coconut

Delicious, eh?



After all that, I think we can safely make the assumption one can get over the "extra clutter" that a crockpot may provide to your kitchen. In the name of crockpot lovers everywhere, I promote thee! Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of the Crockpot!!! (after all it is happiness to crockpot obsessers everywhere)

1 comments:

perpetual_confusion said...

I love your use of adjectives! and those recipes sound so good!

Post a Comment